Thursday, March 29, 2018

As the sun pulls away from the shore, and our boat sinks slowly in the west.



I retired from Penn State in October 2017. Not a hard decision really; 30 years at PSU and our research funding was in the tank (as is everyone's). It is time to be home a bit more and maybe travel to see the kids in Germany, Ireland and Lancaster. Maybe do a wee bit more cycling and hiking.

I will miss it thought, “it” being the big trips; Antarctica and Greenland. Working with great people day after day on fun and challenging projects. I’ve had several interviews since retiring (WITF, WPSU) and each time they ask me what I will miss about working in the field. It’s quite intangible and even harder to explain. 

One of my goals in retirement is to write about some of the photos I have taken over the years. Maybe one a week. As good old Rod Stewart (man I hate his music) says, “Every picture tells a story…”. Meanwhile maybe there is a chance I will deploy again, one can never tell about these things. So I’ll keep in PQ shape and see what happens.





No comments:

Post a Comment